The Sheik (1921)
I’m going to try and write this post in a way that if H ever reads it he will not hate my guts and never speak to me again. That being said (I can't stand that expression) here it goes…
When H and I were first introduced through mutual friends I asked him the usual stalker questions you ask a Kuwaiti man when you’re an insane Western girl.
1) Are your parents first cousins? Second cousins? Third cousins? The answer was NO to all three. That was a BIG freakin’ whew! We have enough of that relative stuff going on in the South. ;)
2) Do you believe in having more than one wife? And if yes, how many do you see yourself with in the future? He said no, of course any smart man would.
3) Are your parents still married? YES! And they are adorable together.
4) Does your Father have more than one wife? He doesn’t!!! Whew!
5) Is your Father close with the house maids? (LOL! Just teasing…) the real question was does he frequent a diwaniya where there is “entertainment” wink wink…? Nope, just cards and TV with the guys.
6) Then the same question to H. And the answer was another no. He said he dislikes diwaniya after returning from University abroad and rarely goes. I didn’t believe that one but it’s pretty darn true. I wish he went more often and his Mother claims that (her alone time) is the secret to their marriage.
7) Are you first Kuwaiti with both parents Kuwaiti? (I was just curious.) He is…
8) Are you Hathar or Bedouin? He’s Hathar and Westernized (too much)!
9) Do you have massive debt with that killer ride? Nope, no debt. Seriously! Nada! Good, old Kuwaiti family, well-educated and a great job. Yay, he’s responsible and hardworking.
Well, the questions went on like I was five years old and yet he still continued to court me after my painful interrogation. The one question I forgot to ask was about his Grandfather. He talks so often about his Grandmothers but mentions very little details about his Grandfathers.
So the other night I don’t know why it entered my head to ask if his Grandfather had more than one wife. I figured he had two which was pretty common back then. Well boy did I have the number wrong and incredibly low. His Grandpapa was a rollin’ stone and how many wives he’s had nobody knows. They were from Kuwait, Syria, Lebanon, Morocco and maybe Egypt. H said they still don’t know and that he divorced a lot of them and had to pay lots of alimony.
OMG! Can you imagine telling your parents that little tidbit about your future husband? H has such a great sense of humor (sexiest laugh ever) and he laughed about it with me forever. I’m guessing this Grandpapa player married just about every girl he fancied that agreed to marry him. I couldn’t help but crack up but I was sure to let H know that we American women get away with murder when our Hubby displays that kind of "bad husband behavior". If his stone goes rollin' I’m going to cut both stones off and leave him stoneless/stickless/penniless. ;p
Video credit: YouTube